Sunday, April 15, 2012

Paris Layover, 02/28/2012


On our way to Johannesburg, we had a 12-hour layover in Paris, and decided to make the best of it. After landing in Charles De Gaulle Airport, we immediately jumped on the RER train system and headed into the city. We hopped off the train, ran up the stairs, and posed for a quick photo in front of the Seine.

We look like such tourists.
Once we crossed the river, I got my first glimpse of the Notre-Dame Cathedral! 

It was absolutely breathtaking. It felt so surreal finally seeing this building after so many years of dreaming about it. I'll admit, I got a little silly about it. Like a kid in a candy store.  Chris had been to Paris before, and wasn't as star-struck as I was, but I think he enjoyed seeing me get so excited about it. 


After walking through the Cathedral, we decided to take a boat tour so we could see the city from the river.  I didn't want to miss the whole city by taking the underground train! 


Our next stop was the Musee de Louvre! We had decided beforehand that there wouldn't be enough time to tour the museum. And it's a good thing, because we got there and it was closed for renovation! Evidently Tuesday is the cleaning day.

Seriously. Kid in a candy store.


We walked from the Louvre down the Champs-Elysees, and stopped at a little crepe stand. It was the most delicious lunch. Probably because we were so hungry.


At the end of the Champs-Elysees, right in the middle of the Place de l'Etoile, stands the Arc de Triomphe! I wanted to stand underneath it, but the idea of crossing that traffic scared me...

I did plenty of dorky thumbs-up poses in Paris. 
From the Arc de Triomphe, we had time for one last landmark-- la Tour Eiffel!


We took the elevator down and had time for one last mushy picture before taking the train back to the airport, and catching our flight to Africa!


No comments:

Post a Comment